In December 2019 the City of Innsbruck decided to implement a long-term cultural strategy process, consisting of three phases. The first phase, which deals with the development of the Innsbruck Cultural Strategy 2030, is primarily determined by the following three steps:
- Surveys & Analyses, July 2020 to March 2021
- Discussions & Workshops, April to November 2021
- Consolidation & Review, December 2021 to May 2022
In March 2022, it was decided to take a little more time for a political coordination & decision-making phase and to carry it out from June to around October 2022.
The whole process takes place over several years and comprises the following three phases:
- Phase 1: Development of the Innsbruck Cultural Strategy 2030, planned from mid-2020 to mid-2022;
- Phase 2: Implementation of measures, planned from mid 2022/beginning 2023;
- Phase 3: Evaluation and reporting in the municipal council and decision on next steps until 2030, planned approx. 2024.
Surveys & Analyses
The basis of the cultural strategy process was formed by an extensive baseline study. As a first step, scientific surveys and analyses were conducted until March 2021. These included:
- a characterization of Innsbruck’s field of art and culture,
- an analysis of the cultural budget,
- a description of the most important cultural funding measures,
- an outline of the cultural policy discourse in recent years,
- a description of the legal and political framework,
- an examination of topic-specific strategies, concepts and programs,
- the elaboration of future potentials, based, among other things, on 33 qualitative interviews with personalities from Innsbruck’s field of art and culture and other areas relevant to the cultural development of Innsbruck.
The aim of this step was to activate Innsbruck’s field of art and culture and to ensure the participation of experts from the very beginning, and additional to create a scientifically profound, content-related basis for the subsequent work steps.
The results of the baseline study were published in March 2021 (in German language only). Please visit the following page to read or download: kulturstrategie-innsbruck.at/grundlagenarbeit
Discussions & Workshops
A discussion and workshop phase lasting several months followed from April 2021. Until November 2021, a total of six topic workshops on the cultural future of Innsbruck took place, always on an evening between Monday and Wednesday and at changing venues:
- Wednesday, April 14, 2021, 5.00 – 8.30 p.m., in digital space
- Monday, May 17, 2021, 5.00 – 8.30 p.m., in digital space
- Tuesday, June 15, 2021, 5.00 – 8.30 p.m., in digital space
- Wednesday, September 29, 2021, 5.00 – 8.30 p.m., Haus der Musik
- Monday, October 18, 2021, 5.00 – 8.30 p.m., Congress
- Tuesday, November 9, 2021, 5.00 – 8.30 p.m., Congress
You can find detailed information on the topics of the workshops here: kulturstrategie-innsbruck.at/participation
Consolidation & Review & Political coordination & Decision-making
Once the discussion and workshop phase was finished, the results of the participation process have been consolidated by the working group and the project team since November 2021. A result of the process to date has been published on the website on March 31, 2022. After the end of the review period at April 17, 2022, the comments and additions received will be discussed and edited by the project team. The resulting paper will then be a mandate for the city’s policy makers to derive and decide on a sustainable mission statement, visions, fields of action, goals and measures.
The coordination work on the Innsbruck Cultural Strategy 2030 accompanies the first phase throughout the entire period. Discussions in the Cultural Committee, presentations in the Municipal Council, exchanges with other departments of the City of Innsbruck’s Municipal Council or coordination meetings with stakeholders from the fields of art and culture and relevant interface areas have taken place and continue to take place.