In December 2019 the City of Innsbruck decided to implement a long-term cultural strategy process, consisting of three phases. The first phase, which deals with the development of the Innsbruck Cultural Strategy 2030, is primarily determined by the following three steps:
- Surveys & Analyses, July 2020 to March 2021
- Discussions & Workshops, April to November 2021
- Decision-making & Communication, December 2021 to May 2022
The whole process takes place over several years and comprises the following three phases:
- Phase 1: Development of the Innsbruck Cultural Strategy 2030, planned from mid-2020 to mid-2022;
- Phase 2: Implementation of measures, planned from mid 2022/beginning 2023;
- Phase 3: Evaluation and reporting in the municipal council and decision on next steps until 2030, planned approx. 2024.
© Anna Repple
Surveys & Analyses
The basis of the cultural strategy process will be formed by an extensive baseline study. As a first step, scientific surveys and analyses will be conducted until March 2021. These include:
- a characterization of Innsbruck’s field of art and culture,
- an analysis of the cultural budget,
- a description of the most important cultural funding measures,
- an outline of the cultural policy discourse in recent years,
- a description of the legal and political framework,
- an examination of topic-specific strategies, concepts and programs,
- the elaboration of future potentials, based, among other things, on 33 qualitative interviews with personalities from Innsbruck’s field of art and culture and other areas relevant to the cultural development of Innsbruck.
The aim of this step is to activate Innsbruck’s field of art and culture and to ensure the participation of experts from the very beginning, and additional to create a scientifically profound, content-related basis for the subsequent work steps.
The results of the baseline study have been published in March 2021 (in German language only). Please visit the following page to read or download: kulturstrategie-innsbruck.at/grundlagenarbeit
Discussions & Workshops
A discussion and workshop phase lasting several months will follow from April 2021. Until November 2021, a total of six topic workshops on the cultural future of Innsbruck will take place, always on an evening between Monday and Wednesday and at changing venues:
- Wednesday, April 14, 2021, 5.00 – 8.30 p.m., in digital space
- Monday, May 17, 2021, 5.00 – 8.30 p.m., in digital space
- Tuesday, June 15, 2021, 5.00 – 8.30 p.m., in digital space
- Wednesday, September 29, 2021, 5.00 – 8.30 p.m., Haus der Musik
- Monday, October 18, 2021, 5.00 – 8.30 p.m., Congress
- Tuesday, November 9, 2021, 5.00 – 8.30 p.m., Congress
You can find detailed information on the topics of the workshops here: kulturstrategie-innsbruck.at/participation
Decision-making & Communication
The decision-making on the Innsbruck Cultural Strategy 2030 accompanies the first phase over the entire period. Discussions take place in the Cultural Committee, presentations in the Municipal Council, exchanges with other departments of the City of Innsbruck’s Municipal Council or coordination meetings with stakeholders from the fields of art and culture and relevant interface areas. The aim is to establish the broadest possible commitment to the goals and measures contained in the cultural strategy.
Once the discussion and workshop phase is finished, a draft will be created from November 2021 on. It will be published on the website in March 2022 after the necessary political coordination work has been done. After a one-month review period, the final version will be prepared by incorporating the comments and additions received.
The final version of the Innsbruck Cultural Strategy 2030 should be approved by the municipal council in May 2022 and will then be presented to the public.